Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Easy DIY Project: Summer Placemats

Good morning friends,

It is a beautiful summer day here and I have a very easy project to share with you.

At the beginning of summer I had purchased a nice tropical theme vinyl tablecloth.  I liked it a lot because it went so well with my tropical centerpiece that I had recently made.

Then along comes Bella (our new kitten) and she decides to use the tablecloth as her very own scratching pad.  Needless to say, one side of the tablecloth looked like thin spaghetti one day when I came back from doing errands. 
As bad as it looked, I couldn't throw it away.  I liked the tropical pattern so much.  So I put my thinking cap on and came up with a way to salvage most of it.  Luckily, my kitty didn't damage the top of it (the part that lays flat on the table).

So I came up with a plan to make placemats.  I was so pleased how they came out and mostly because I was able to keep the summer tropical pattern that I liked so much.

Here is how it looked when I decorated my table with the new placemats.


The placemats were so easy to make.  Here are the instructions if you want to make some.

The size I cut my placemats are 19"x13". That includes the 1/2 inch on each side to fold under.


Then after cutting it into a placemat size, I flipped it over and folded the edges down.  I used masking tape to keep the edges down.  It stuck nicely to the vinyl part and the cotton batting (that vinyl tablecloths usually have).


I used the masking tape all around the border.  It adheres nicely without lifting up.

And that is all there is to it.  It was very easy to do and I am so happy with the results.

The placemats go perfectly with my tropical centerpiece that I made.


I hope you enjoyed this easy DIY project. I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Let me know if you make some placemats.  With all the different patterned tablecloths out there, the possibilities are endless.

Have a great day! :)
Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any mean or rude comments left on blog will be deleted.