Tuesday, February 10, 2015

DIY Valentine Soaps for Kids

Good Morning!

Today I am sharing with you some homemade Valentine soaps I made using the melt and pour method.  It is a fun way to encourage your kids to wash their hands often.  

These soaps have a special surprise inside them that will have your kids wanting to wash their hands.  Inside there is a cute eraser that kids can use after the soap is gone.













Let's get started:

Materials:


soap mold
clear glycerin soap base
soap coloring
soap fragrance (I used wild berry)
erasers
rubbing alcohol

Directions:
*Note* All the kitchen supplies I use, I only use for soap making.  The smell will linger on anything you use.  

1) Melt as much soap base as you need to cover the bottom of the soap mold.     I used 2 cubes per mold as a guide.  That is how much I estimated.  See photo below.

  

2) Next I melted my soap cubes in the microwave in a glass bowl.  You must follow the directions on each soap package because each soap brand is different.  Then carefully pour the soap base into the molds.  Only pour enough to cover the bottom like the photo below. Spray rubbing alcohol on top to disperse the bubbles that form.

Notice the soap is only poured in the bottom; not all the way to the top yet

 3) Embed the erasers when the soap base has firmed up a little.  I spray the erasers first with rubbing alcohol so they adhere to the soap layer better.

4) Then embed the erasers into the first soap layer like the photo below.


5) Next make the second layer.  Melt more soap base.  After it is melted I add a little soap coloring and a fragrance.  The fragrance I chose was wild berry.  It smells so good.  Mix those two things into the soap base and carefully pour it on top of the clear layer. (Make sure the first layer has completely firmed up before you pour this layer.)

6)  Then just let the soaps cool.  Waiting is the hardest part.  I let my soaps sit for a couple of hours.  Then carefully pop them out of the molds.





To give as gifts you can use these cute zippered baggies.  They were only a dollar at Dollar Tree.  I wrap my soaps first in plastic wrap to make it easier to slide into the baggie.


Then tie it with a pretty ribbon and it is ready to give as a gift.





If you make these soaps I would love to see what you embed in them.  They are so fun and easy to make that your kids could help with this craft project. I recommend parental supervision because you are dealing with hot soap.

Have fun!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any mean or rude comments left on blog will be deleted.